- Licensed Psychologist
- Con to the question "Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?"
“[I]f society permits same-sex marriage, it also will have to allow other types of marriage. The legal logic is simple: If prohibiting same-sex marriage is discriminatory, then disallowing polygamous marriage, polyamorous marriage, or any other marital grouping will also be deemed discriminatory. The emotional and psychological ramifications of these assorted arrangements on the developing psyches and sexuality of children would be disastrous…
Certainly homosexual couples can be just as loving as heterosexual couples, but children require more than love. They need the distinctive qualities and the complementary natures of a male and female parent.
The accumulated wisdom of over 5,000 years has concluded that the ideal marital and parental configuration is composed of one man and one woman. Arrogantly disregarding such time-tested wisdom, and using children as guinea pigs in a radical experiment, is risky at best, and cataclysmic at worst.
Same-sex marriage definitely isn’t in the best interest of children. And although we empathize with those homosexuals who long to be married and parent children, we mustn’t allow our compassion for them to trump our compassion for children. In a contest between the desires of some homosexuals and the needs of all children, we can’t allow the children to lose.”
“Love Isn’t Enough: 5 Reasons Why Same-Sex Marriage Will Harm Children,” drtraycehansen.com, Oct. 15, 2007
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to gay marriage. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to gay marriage.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Licensed Psychologist, Psychiatric Centers at San Diego, 2008-present
- Member, Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Adolescent Health, American College of Pediatricians
- Guest, The Mancow Show, The Bob Dutko Show, and USA Radio Network
- PhD, California School of Professional Psychology, 1997
- MA, Clinical Psychology, California School of Professional Psychology
- BA, Behavioral Science, National University
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?