- Former Senior Fellow at the Center for Marriage and Family Studies of the Family Research Council
- Con to the question "Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?"
“Homosexual marriage degrades a time-honored institution. Homosexual marriage is an empty pretense that lacks the fundamental sexual complementariness of male and female. And like all counterfeits, it cheapens and degrades the real thing. The destructive effects may not be immediately apparent, but the cumulative damage is inescapable. The eminent Harvard sociologist, Pitirim Sorokin, analyzed cultures spanning several thousand years on several continents, and found that virtually no society has ceased to regulate sexuality within marriage as traditionally defined, and survived.
Homosexual marriage would radically redefine marriage to include virtually any sexual behavior. Once marriage is no longer confined to a man and a woman, and the sole criterion becomes the presence of ‘love’ and ‘mutual commitment,’ it is impossible to exclude virtually any ‘relationship’ between two or more partners of either sex.
Homosexual marriage would subject children to unstable home environments. Many homosexuals and their sex partners may sincerely believe they can be good parents. But children are not guinea pigs for grand social experiments in redefining marriage, and should not be placed in settings that are unsuitable for raising children…
If victorious, the homosexual agenda will lead to the persecution of those who object on moral or religious grounds. If homosexual marriage becomes the law of the land, then children in public schools will be taught that homosexuality is a normative lifestyle, and that gay households are just another ‘variant’ style of family. Those who object may find themselves on the wrong side of the law.”
“Ten Facts About Counterfeit Marriage,” frc.org (accessed Oct. 21, 2010)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to gay marriage. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to gay marriage.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Former Senior Fellow, Center for Marriage and Family Studies, Family Research Council
- Former Member, Cross-cultural Ministries, South America, Eastern Europe, Soviet Union
- Former Senior Editor, Chuck Colson’s Breakpoint Radio Program
- Former Lecturer, Department of Bible and Theology, Toccoa Falls College, GA
- PhD, Religion, Marquette University
- MA, Theological Studies, Wheaton College
- BA, Bible/Theology, Moody Bible Institute
- None found