- Senior Fellow for Policy Studies at the Family Research Council
- Con to the question "Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?"
“Marriage is a public institution because it brings together men and women for the reproduction of the human race, and keeps them together to raise the children produced by their union.
Future generations are fundamental to the survival of society. The quality of their nurture is directly related to the quality of life within society. Bonding the man and woman whose sexual union produces a child to one another and to that child is the most efficient way of insuring that nurture.
Opposite-sex relationships are the only type capable of producing children through natural intercourse, and the only ones assured of providing children with both a mother and a father. Affirming only opposite-sex relationships as marriage thus makes perfect sense.
Social science has shown that children raised by their own biological mother and father, committed to one another in a lifelong marriage, are happier, healthier, and more prosperous than children in any other households.
Does society need children? Do children need a mom and a dad?
The answer to both questions is Yes.
Legalization of same-sex marriage would amount to a declaration that the answer to both is No.
This would be a foolish and tragic choice.”
Email to ProCon.org, Apr. 12, 2011
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Senior Fellow for Policy Studies, Family Research Council, 2001-present
- Ordained Baptist Minister
- Former Pastor, Clifton Park Center Baptist Church, Cliton Park, NY
- Former Professional Actor and Unit Leader, Covenant Players
- Former Economic Development Assistant, Congressman Robert F. Drinan (D-MA)
- MDiv, cum laude, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- BA, summa cum laude, Political Science and Economics, Drew University
- Lives in Maryland with his wife and son
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?