- Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard University Medical School
- Pro to the question "Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?"
“For young people coming out, which is about 5 to 15 percent of the overall U.S. population, the presence of role models who have equal status via marriage in society has significant meaning both internally and socially and has potential for reducing their isolation [and] sense of stigma that gay teens face in their everyday lives. And I point out here the data on suicide among gay and lesbian teens which is about three times that of the general teenage population.
Same-sex marriages provide stability for couples in terms of public acknowledgment of their commitment and provide legitimacy for the children being raised by gay and lesbian parents.
Nothing is more basic from a mental health perspective to happiness and liberty than the right to love another human being with the same privileges and responsibilities as everyone else.”
New Jersey Civil Union Review Commission, “The Legal, Medical, Economic & Social Consequences of New Jersey’s Civil Union Law,” state.nj.us, Dec. 10, 2008
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Associate Professor, Psychiatry, Harvard University Medical School
- Director, Adult Psychiatric Residency Training, 2003-present
- Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
- Member, Residency Review Committee for Psychiatry of The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Homosexuality and Psychotherapy, 2009
- Co-chair, Massachusetts Psychiatric Society’s Task Force on Same Sex Civil Marriage, 2005
- Chair, Steering Committee, Program in HIV Psychiatry in the American Psychiatric Institute for Research and Education, 2002-present
- Chair, American Psychiatric Association’s Commission on AIDS, 1991-2002
- Director of HIV Services, Cambridge Hospital, 1989-2003
- Residency In Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, 1981-1984
- Internship, Presbyterian Hospital, Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, 1980-1981
- Former Medical Director, Mental Health and Addiction Services, Fenway Community Health Center
- MD, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, 1980
- BA, Middlebury College, 1971
- Married in Massachusetts on May, 24, 2004
- Has two children
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?